About Roslin Technologies
Roslin Technologies is an ambitious, cutting‐edge biotech company focused on animal stem cell technologies for cultivated meat. Our mission is to develop disruptive biotechnologies to enable a more sustainable food system.
The world faces an increasing protein gap. Protein demand is increasing due to a growing and increasingly more affluent population while natural resources to produce proteins are scarce. Animal agriculture, in particular, is putting pressure on the environment. Cultivated meat is meat grown from animal cells without raising animals. Cultivated meat promises to improve animal welfare, reduce the environmental footprint of meat production, and improve human health.
At Roslin Tech, our main focus is to develop animal cell technologies for the cultivated meat sector. We develop animal stem cell lines using ground-breaking technologies, including induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) and embryonic stem cells (ESC). We provide these cell lines to cultivated meat producers globally who will use these lines to develop and produce cultivated meat. Our approach is unique to this sector both in terms of technology and business model. Our animal cell lines are playing a key role in bringing the reality of cultivated meat closer.
Our team of experts are passionate, curious, inventive and at the forefront of the ground-breaking work being accomplished in this rapidly growing, cultivated meat sector.
About The Role
The role for Senior Scientist - 3D Fat/Muscle Differentiation Scale Up is an exciting career opportunity for an ambitious post-doctoral scientist (or graduate with relevant industry experience) with expereience in researching., developing and optimising scalable bioprocessing methods for the cultivation of stem cells and ideally, stem cell differentiated cellular products.
At Roslin Tech, we have derived high quality animal stem cells (iPSC, ESC) for porcine, ovine and bovine. To produce cultivated meat, these stem cells will be scaled and differentiated into a variety of tissues, including muscle and fat. The development of scaleable muscle differentiation protocols is a key focus area. Muscle differentiation protocols need to meet demands of cultivated meat producers in terms of quality, cost and efficiency and be compliant with food safety requirements.
As member of our Product Development team, you will be working with our Cell Innovation, Quality Control and customer facing teams to optimise the protocols for cultivated meat and make them work in the hands of our customers which include leading cultivated meat producers. This role will require extensive experience in bioreactor operation, media development, stem cell culture, cell biology, molecular gentics and cellular analysis.
- Undergraduate degree (BSc//MSc) and PhD in a closely related discipline (Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology) with 1 to 3 years relevant industry experience.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture (ideally stem cell culture)
- Experience in operating and optimising cell culture benchtop bioreactors (up to 5L scale)
- Proven ability to deliver a research project, including the design and execution of experiments
- Proven ability to communicate complex information clearly
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a team
- Proven ability to optimise scalable bioprocesses / bioreactors
- Proven ability to develop and optimise cell culture media / cell culture feed
- Proven ability to develop and test new protocols
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Excellent organisational, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent computer skills in the use of Office software
- Goal-focused self-motivated team-oriented
• Practical experience of working in the field of cultivated meat, ideally focusing on scalable bioreactor process development and optimisation
• Experience of in vitro fat / muscle differentiation protocols from iPSC and/or ESCs
• Experience in cell culture spent media and cell metabolism analysis
• Experience in bioprocess optimisation, modelling and techno-economics
• Experience in biomarker / protein expression analysis
• Experience in project delivery / report writing and/or commercial R&D projects
• Experience in the use of design of experiment (DOE) and statistical software
• Experience in technology transfer/supervision/training of personnel
• Industry experience of working to GMP and relevant ISO standards
Roslin Technologies offers
‣ Competitive and attractive salary and generous company pension plan
‣ A passionate work environment focused on a fast-growing field, using ground-breaking stem cell technologies
‣ Strong emphasis on team performance, scientific rigour and personal development
‣ Private healthcare, life cover and critical illness
‣ Regular company events to foster our culture